Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Allergy Relief

Sniffling, sneezing, puffy eyes, itchy throat.  My family has it bad!  According to the Allergy and Asthma Foundation of America it is estimated that 40 million Americans suffer from indoor/outdoor seasonal allergies.  When my children were young I swore that I would not medicate them with over-the-counter elixirs.  I used herbs and down home remedies to heal them and quell their misery.  Well times have changed and while I still use echinacea and golden seal to boost their immune systems, I gave into allergy shots because things got really bad.

My oldest became allergic to everything pollinated - that included anything grown in the ground or on a tree.  Then she developed seasonal asthma which scared me to death.  I only allowed her to use the albuterol pump twice during the season while monitoring her closely and making sure she stayed indoors 90 percent of the time for two months.  What a horrible thing for an eight year old, but I didn't want her to become dependent on the medication.

This year I was proactive and began giving her Zyrtec before the season started, and so far so good.

Now for me and the hubby, a nasal cleanse works wonders.  You can purchase a Neti Pot at your local drug store or use a syringe bottle with a saline solution to clear the nostrils and help relieve allergy symptoms.

For more information on allergy relief, the Allergy and Asthma Foundation of America has a support community which I sometimes find helpful at  http://www.inspire.com/groups/asthma-and-allergy-foundation-of-america/.

Until next time,
Happy healing and gesundheit!

Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment